Sunday, April 26, 2009

What is the best planting medium, or food, or moss for cattleya orchids?

I am trying to grow a cattleya orchid, but I don't know a lot about them. I have been all over the internet, but they all say different things. I know that they have a special pot, and that the roots should dry between waterings. But does anyone know which plant food and medium are the best? I have saw sites that say to use coconut bark, charcoal chunks... And fertilizers... Ugh! 11-35-15, or 20-14-13... Help! I have a cattleya on the way and I already have a happy phalaenopsis (unless anyone knows a fertilizer I should feed him. :) ) Help! I already have a planting medium that is supposed to be made for phal's. Could I use that for the Cattleya? I love the cattleyas, and I want it to grow and be healthy. Any tips? Thank you!!!

What is the best planting medium, or food, or moss for cattleya orchids?
i had lots of cattleya way back when I was living in a tropical country. every bloom is a sight to behold. I am always gifted with an all-year bloom because I adopted the technique employed by the nanny of my son, which is to put in wood charcoal and coco husks. Once in a while, you have to see though if bugs are comfortably residing amongst these mediums.


I wish I can grow them where I am now. Good luck to your quest for cattleya blooms.
Reply:we used charcoal bits in a pot and is well. we don't use chlorinated water. we use rain water to water them. we don't use any fertilizer


No comments:

Post a Comment